Thursday, May 15, 2008

Letter: Firefighters, Red Cross made disaster bearable

I would like to express my deep gratitude to a few of Iredell County’s finest firefighters, residents and volunteers. On Feb. 8, my home caught fire with me in it. Unfortunately, it was a total loss. But thanks to the kindness of Shepherd, Troutman and Mooresville fire departments, I am safe and still have some of my most precious memories.

While the fire was being extinguished, members of these fine departments were graciously bringing out of harm’s way some very important framed portraits. They were of my deceased son and of my parents and could not be replaced. The firefighters continued to save other items they felt would be important to me. For these kind acts, I am very grateful.

I would also like to thank my many neighbors and friends on Carver Lane. They have gone over and above with their generosity and gifts of money, clothes and help. All of this is appreciated.

Two caring volunteers from the Red Cross will always stand out in my heart and mind. Ben Mahaffey and Jeremiah Huston, I will never forget you or your kindness. To say you were wonderful is an understatement.

Most know the Red Cross is there to lend a helping hand in time of need, but most of us forget the many volunteers who give so freely of their time to make the Red Cross what it is. They were there within minutes, offering me a much-needed place to stay, food to eat and clothing. With their help, I have been able to go on with my life and make plans for the future.

Thanks to all of you.

Because of your kindness and caring, I have been able to find the silver lining in this dark cloud. I will always appreciate you and the work you do for this county.

Shirley Houston
Troutman

No comments: