Thursday, May 29, 2008

Letter: How to have a yard sale

Here’s my 2 cents on yard sales:

Don’t get upset if I ask you to come down on the price, and don’t give me the hoopla about how much it cost in the first place and that you never used it.

Why in the world would you not come down on a price and yet you say, “If I don’t sell this stuff I’m loading it up and taking it to Goodwill.” Am I missing something here? Wouldn’t it be better to take less for something rather than taking it to Goodwill, even with the price of gas?

Price your stuff. Don’t make me chase you down for a price and have to stand there while you discuss it with your better half. This is only going to irritate me. This is your stuff; you should already have an idea of how you will price it.

Ladies, you are not working in a showroom or department store. Don’t stand there and try to find clothes for me that you think would be so darling. I’m too old to have you looking for my clothes now. Let me do the digging — that’s part of the hunt!

Make your signs visible! Do not use brown cardboard and a pencil. Florescent paper is best and write the directions in large letters. Put up as many signs as you can, treat us like squirrels you are trying to lure to you. Leave us a trail of acorns to your yard sale; you’ll get more customers that way.

And if I have to chase you through your yard while you are eating a biscuit, don’t get angry with me because I interrupted your breakfast. You should have been ready for us. You should know that we’ll be the first ones out on a Saturday morning looking for yard sales.

Janice Kennedy
Statesville

No comments: