Thursday, March 27, 2008

Letter: Parent in R&L article appeared insulting to the handicapped

As the parent of a handicapped child who has been in heaven 10 years, I am always interested in articles in the R&L about our special population.

In the March 22 edition, there was a paragraph in the article about Frank Easton that I hope I misunderstood.

I quote: “An MGSD behaviorist attempted to have Frank placed at a Barium Springs school, which the Eastons opposed. ‘We were trying to get the word out to the community that our kids aren’t freaks, they are children with autism that should be treated with respect.’ ”

I am very familiar with the work being done at the Barium Springs academy, and the students there aren’t “freaks.”

The principal, Aron Gabriel, who is a good friend, and his staff are doing a wonderful job of teaching and helping our children.If no one believes me, call and arrange a tour of the facility. I think you will be touched by everything and everybody you see.

Again, I hope I misunderstood the quote.

Phyllis Grant
Statesville

No comments: