Friday, March 28, 2008

Letter: Rehabilitated felons deserve another shot at a future

I wanted to write you about a concern about North Carolina’s felons. They tell you that you have rehabilitated yourself, but where is the truth in that.

As a victim myself I know how hard it is to find employment, housing and assistance. I shouldn’t say victim, but in these circumstances I can.

One reason: I have, as well as others have, paid a debt to society, and we are still hindered by people such as employment agencies, apartment complexes and financial assistance from the government. We need ways of supporting ourselves, too.

Now the question is, why does society ask, “Why is there such a revolving door to the prison system?”

I think they should ask themselves that and give felons a chance. Some have really rehabilitated themselves and deserve another chance.

April Harris
Statesville

No comments: