Monday, February 25, 2008

Letter: Asphalt plant is part of a solution, not part of a problem

I have lived in Statesville all of my life. I have seen many changes come to this community. I have seen businesses come and go, and along with those businesses, I have seen jobs come and go.

On Monday night, I attended the City Council meeting in support of Maymead Material Inc.’s request to build an additional asphalt plant.

I was amazed to see the number of people, many of whom are personal friends, who were opposed to this company’s expansion.

My daughter has been an employee of Maymead since December 2006, when they first came to Statesville.

She has enjoyed working for a company that is ethical and actively involved in the community that we love.

I do not have any fears for her as she goes to work at the Buffalo Shoals plant office each day, nor do I question the integrity of the owners of Maymead. I am shocked by the way my fellow citizens have reacted to a much-needed addition to our community.

Our roads are in terrible shape, and there is much work to be done, but this is overlooked. Instead, the group of opponents is spreading fear and propaganda instead of searching for a solution to the need in our community. I would like for Maymead to be part of the solution.

Ann Brown
Statesville

No comments: