Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Letter of the Day: Actions of a few sworn officers create doubts about judgment

This is in response to the front-page story Feb. 7 about the dog shooting incident. I’m no stranger to the capriciousness and outright stupidity of some local sheriff deputies, either.

Two years ago, two deputies arrived at my home in response to an accidental burglar alarm. One of the officers noticed the small, potted Japanese maple tree in my carport (it had been a recent birthday gift from one of my daughters). What happened next sounds like the plot from an episode of the Dukes of Hazzard. My little tree was confiscated by the deputies and placed in the trunk of one of the squad-cars. I was accused of growing marijuana! I was told to "come clean." They searched my home (with my permission), and I spent the better part of an hour doing my best to convince them that I was innocent, and that the object of their zeal was a lowly maple tree. The ordeal finally ended when a third deputy was consulted, who told the first two that, indeed, the plant was a tree. They promptly left without an apology.

Makes you feel safe, knowing that we have such high-caliber personnel in the sheriff’s office, doesn’t it?

Keith High
Statesville

No comments: