Friday, January 11, 2008

Call the Humane Society, not the local animal shelter

I would like to print a letter letting everyone know just how important it really is to make sure you have the Humane Society pick up unwanted animals instead of calling the pound on them.
During hours of research, I have found that Iredell County is one of the top counties in putting animals to sleep.

The facility is not a very pleasant place for animals. The Humane Society is out to finding animals homes, whereas the pound usually just puts the animals to sleep.

During my time having to deal with Animal Control, I found that lots of the staff were very unfriendly and not very helpful.

The dogs were in small cages with no air or heat. Also, every time I came by to visit my dog, Abby, her cage was dirty and there was no water.

On one visit, I was told I would not be allowed to touch the dog because of her coming in contact with a dead raccoon. The following day, I came to bring Abbey a treat, and I was allowed to touch and feed her. I spoke with Chris Royal about this matter ,and she said that basically, it was my fault for touching the dog — that I knew better.

Well, I just want the community to know that some of the staff are not even skilled enough to be running the facility.

Not only do we need the new shelter, but maybe need to also educate the workers on how to deal with the animals and for them to go the extra mile to actually find homes for these animals.
Also, thank you to everyone who had a part in helping save Abby. You will forever be in my thoughts and prayers.

Tara Castorena
Troutman

No comments: