Friday, January 4, 2008

Letter of the Day: 'Picture with Santa' fee goes a long way

As a long-time patron and employee of Signal Hill Mall, I would like to address a few concerns I have with the article about Mr. Michael Allen’s visit with Santa, which was in the Christmas Day edition of the R&L.

I was Santa’s "less-than-jolly old elf" who assisted Mr. Allen upon his arrival. I am fully aware of the strains the Christmas season places on the pockets of shoppers. I am a college student who knows the value of a $5 bill; however, I also know there are more tactful ways of saying "I cannot afford a picture."

For those other parents who had children visiting Santa that day, the foul language and temper were a bit unnecessary. Signal Hill Mall strives to maintain a family shopping atmosphere, and Mr. Allen’s language and enraged temper did not comply with the mall’s idea of a family-friendly environment.

I am sorry the situation got out of hand; however I did not deserve the personal insults I received for simply doing my job. Furthermore, I am sorry Mr. Allen’s children had to see him lose his temper; no child should have to hear that kind of language, especially from their father.

Allow me to give you a little information about this $5 fee and the funding for events at Signal Hill Mall. The Signal Hill Mall Merchant’s Association provides shoppers with Santa and his elves and the Easter Bunny to raise funds for free events throughout the year.

The free events are fireworks in July, trick-or-treating in October, karaoke twice a year, magic shows, antique car and truck shows, spelling bees and various concerts throughout the year.

These free events are also paid for by the income from mall tenants.

The fee also pays for advertising, which supports the R&L.

If we were to allow every customer to take their own digital pictures with Santa, we would make no money to support these events. Other malls do not even allow digital camera use. We understand parents may like to use their own cameras; therefore, we charge a $5 fee to offset the cost of labor, decorations and future events.

Therefore, the fee goes a long way.

In closing, I would like to make a clarification to the article: Santa did not chase Mr. Allen down the mall; he followed Mr. Allen to ensure other customers’ children did not have to witness his temper. Furthermore, it should be known that staff offered Mr. Allen the opportunity for a free picture with Santa, for which he failed to show up.

From this point forward, I think it would be wise if we all learned from the mistakes we made.

Let us not forget about the reason for the season. As a long-time elf, I would like to thank the residents of Statesville for supporting their local mall — we could not make it without you.

I enjoy seeing customers return from one year to the next, and can speak for all of Santa’s elves in saying that we take a great deal of pride in our jobs. Thank you and happy holidays to our supporters.

Judith ‘Jolly Judith Elf’ Michael Taylor
Cleveland, N.C.

No comments: