Thursday, January 17, 2008

Letter of the Day: Obama’s experience, not faith background, is questionable

I want to insert my views regarding recent comments in a letter on the R&L’s opinion page about Sen. Barack Obama. I hope folks will think long and hard before they select their choice for their party’s presidential candidate.

I am concerned that, as usual, folks will ignore the better reasons to support a candidate, such as experience, previous contributions to the American people, etc.

I feel that folks are supporting Sen. Obama because of his charm, good looks and personality; a lot of the same reasons they voted for George W. Bush, whether they admit it or not.

In my opinion, these are not great reasons to vote for a president.

I am concerned about Obama’s lack of experience. I am concerned about his previous use of marijuana and cocaine. This shows a lack of judgment and morals on his part.

I am concerned more with his lack of experience. Also, I am a former resident of Illinois who still has family there, who report they aren’t voting for him because "he ain’t done nothing for us here."

I do like the fact that he has a Muslim father, because it may help dealing with Iran and Iraq.
I also appreciate the fact that he is not running on his religion (at this time he attends a Christian church).

I hate when some candidates use their religion to gain votes. Religion should be up there with charm, good looks and charisma as reasons we should not vote for a candidate.

If those qualities are all it takes, let’s go to Hollywood for our next presidential candidate. Surely someone there attends church regularly who could be talked into being a candidate.

I have not decided who I will vote for. I am just happy it is election time.

It seems it has been a long time coming.

Patricia Perkins
Harmony

No comments: