Thursday, April 24, 2008

Letter: Cheating, stealing parents taint R&L’s cutest baby contest

I was not surprised to see the editorial in Saturday’s R&L about people stealing newspapers or resorting to questionable ethics in order to obtain ballots for the cutest baby contest.

This is exactly why I didn’t enter my 8-month-old daughter in the contest even though she is the cutest baby, ever. No parental bias here, she is cute to a ridiculous degree, even when I speak objectively. She is cuter than a basketful of kittens playing with a ball of yarn, surrounded by Golden Retriever puppies wearing sweaters. That’s how cute she is. I suspected the voting would be rigged/the results otherwise skewed and felt that she would be robbed of the title “Cutest Baby” she so rightfully deserves.

I understand the purpose of putting the ballots inside the paper, but if ballots were sold separately at local businesses instead of inside the paper itself, it would at least eliminate the people who resort to stealing in order to get a lot of ballots.

As for people buying loads of copies of the paper to cheat their baby to victory? They are basically paying for the title, along with the prizes they would receive. And although that is a bit pathetic, at least they aren’t stealing.

Jamie Gill
Statesville

1 comment:

Jamie said...

that's my letter, hurrah! I didn't know it got posted/published except my mom brought me a copy of the paper.