Saturday, April 5, 2008

Letter: Man who traveled wrong path helped 'shake' others

A special man came to Iredell County recently. His mission was to reach out to middle and high school students and share with them his story and a message of hope. In the course of a week, Mr. Bill Saye also reached out to a small gathering of folks every evening at our church as our guest speaker for Spring Crusade.

Bill Saye has tirelessly dedicated his life for the past 24 years to share his story of how he spent his first 40 years building his own kingdom on earth through despair, destruction and drugs only to find that he had gained wealth and success that couldn't purchase the thing he really wanted: love.

He found love through a special friendship made while in federal prison. His best friend was a teacher. Through him, Mr. Saye also found forgiveness for the detestable things he did in his life and a way to begin a brand new life, a life of freedom.

I met his friend too - I've known him for 15 years. He is a patient teacher for I have been a slow learner. He has changed my life - given me so many gifts that could never been found in a store or bought with money. I owe him everything I am and everything I have to him and I am grateful that I'll continue to know him for eternity.

I, for one, have been shaken, awakened and changed by Mr. Saye's visit to our community. Many could say that he brought revival, but I know only the Holy Spirit can do that. Bill was the messenger, the mouthpiece and the servant for God.

The definition of revival as I understand it is to wake up or be revived. Many who had the opportunity to meet and hear Mr. Saye hopefully were awakened from the proverbial "sleep" of today's culture that is empty and self-seeking.

I pray that everyone will have the opportunity to one day meet our "Great Friend." His love is available for everyone. He gives hope that fills empty lives. Brings glory to the broken and weak and joy and comfort to those walking in misery. He provides forgiveness to those who ask and a fullness of peace when we rest in his arms.

His name is Jesus Chris, son of God. He is the greatest teacher and friend of all time. His textbook is Bible. If you feel empty and need a friend, read John 3:16. He's waiting for you.

Shelley Arthur
Statesville

No comments: